A couple of days ago I read this story on ABC about new study showing that one of the major influences in climate change debate –Earth’s oceans, weren’t included as component of the overall theory.
That got me thinking. Someone out there is paying big bucks for all these studies. Studies proving beyond any doubt that our planet’s climate is getting hotter. Studies proving just as convincingly that the Earth is perfectly fine and we are doing great job at looking after our global home.
So apart from all the tree-hugging greenies, who get all warm and fuzzy at the very thought of saving the planet, or the whales, or the orangutans, or the albatross, or the unicorns; apart from them, who benefits from these studies? I mean, if I have a business selling air-conditioners, I would feel inclined to sponsor a study into global warming. Yet, if I were running a business selling fur coats, I would back up a study into the Earth getting cooler.
But the question of financial backing is only part of the mystery here (although I really do want to know “who’s who in the zoo”).
The other burning question is why people who like to present themselves as advocates of the global warming theory are doing their best to produce as much CO2 as possible?
The few most noticeable are:
- John Travolta flying his own Boeing 707 – normal occupancy is 150 passengers.
- Barbra Streisand is too important to fly commercial, so for a short flight Manchester to London, she opts for a private jet.
- Sting’s band, The Police, labelled by environmental experts as the dirtiest in the world because of the amount of pollution.
- Attendees of the Copenhagen Climate Summit in 2009 utilized 1200 limos and 140 private planes.
- One of the most prominent “activists”, Al Gore is a firm believer in travelling by private jets.
Now, I’m not a whinger, but…. if you feel so strongly about preserving the future of our planet and want to reduce the CO2 footprint, here’s a word of advice: placing a sticker “Save the forests” on a back of your petrol-gushing 4WD is NOT helping your cause.
If you are serious about saving the world, get rid of your 4WD, get rid of your private jet and a stretch limo and try living what your preach.